With beautiful weather it is fabulous to be able to get out and about and enjoy the countryside of North Devon and Exmoor National park. Do however be clued up about Lyme Disease.
Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection that can be spread to humans by infected ticks. A circular or oval shape rash around a tick bite can be the first sign of the disease and this can occur within a week of a tick bite or up to 3 months later. Other symptoms of lyme disease are:
- a high temperature or feeling hot and shivery
- muscle and joint pain
- fatigue or loss of energy
It’s important to remember that not many ticks carry the infection however it’s good to take the following precautions to protect yourself from tick bites:
- Wear insect repellent during outdoor activities
- Avoid walking through long grass and stick to pathways
- Wear light coloured clothing and brush off any visible ticks
- If you have to walk in long grass tuck trousers into socks
- Shower and check for ticks when you get home.
Most importantly continue to enjoy the outdoors and beautiful North Devon coastline walks and Exmoor!