The UK is rarely known for it’s hot weather, however with the forecast for heatwaves this Summer it’s a good idea to be prepared! Before we talk about treating heat exhaustion let’s look at some tips to prevent it:
- Drink lots of water. 2 litres a day is recommended and even more on hot days.
- Avoid exercising in the heat of the day.
- Wear light clothing – both colour and cloth!
- Avoid being outside at the warmest part of the day = midday – 3pm.
- Don’t drink alcohol or caffeine.
- If you must go out in the sun don’t forget to Slip Slop Slap!
- Use a fan if you have one.
Signs and Symptoms of Heat Exhaustion
- Hot and sweaty
- Dizziness and headache
- Stomach ache
What to do: Rehydrate with water or dioralyte, sipping drinks. Get out of the sun to somewhere cool. Seek medical attention if concerned.
Enjoy the Summer and stay safe!